What is the Exchange Club?
A group of involved men and women who recognize their civic responsibilities and join together voluntarily in thought and action to serve their community. The Exchange Club of Norwalk is a member organization of the National Exchange Club, first formed in Detroit, Michigan in 1911. Chartered in Norwalk in October 1946. Each Exchange Club gains national identity and prestige through it’s association with the National Exchange Club. However, in the final analysis, a clubs activity, image and success are shaped by its leaders and members. The nations youth, the wellbeing of its communities are the responsibility of its citizens and are major concerns of The Exchange Club of Norwalk, Inc.
The first local Exchange Club was formed in Detroit, Michigan in 1911. Charles A. Berkey is the man who is credited with the founding of this great organization. The second was the Exchange Club of Toledo, Ohio formed in 1913. Subsequently, two others were organized in Grand Rapids, Michigan and Cleveland, Ohio. These four clubs were the first to be chartered by The National Exchange Club after it was organized as a nonprofit, educational organization in 1917. Since then hundreds of clubs have been chartered in the United States and Puerto Rico. The National Exchange Club headquarters is located in Toledo, Ohio. Our chief objective is to help Exchange Clubs realize their full potential of community service.
What does the Exchange Club of Norwalk do?
* Combating Child Abuse - committed $125,000.00 to the Norwalk Hospital to start the C.O.P.E. (Center Outpatient Pediatric Evaluation) for the prevention of child abuse in Southern Connecticut.
* Cosponsors the annual Antique Auto Show at Taylor Farm with the Gateway Antique Car Club, to benefit local child abuse prevention efforts.
* Awards scholarships to area high school seniors.
* Operate the largest non-profit organization food concession at the Norwalk Seaport Oyster Festival since its inception in 1978.
* Hand out 10,000 American flags during the Memorial Day Parade as part of our GIVEAKIDAFLAGTOWAVE program.
* Donate over $85,000.00 in 2013 to local charities.
* Donated a 15 passenger van to the City of Norwalk to help transport the local high schools sports teams.
* Donated $60,000.00 towards the purchase of the mobile stage operated by the City of Norwalk Parks and Recreation Department.
Exchange, America's Service Club, is a group of men and women working together to make our communities better places to live through programs of service in Americanism, Community Service, Youth Activities, and its national project, the Prevention of Child Abuse.